Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Young Elites by Marie Lu


Title: The Young Elites by Marie Lu
Genre: Paranormal dystopian?
Date: January 18, 2015
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Holy shit. This flipping book. I seriously wasn't expecting any of this to happen. It was definitely shocking. I've read Lu's other series 'The Legend Trilogy' and I thought it was good. But this book, just blew that series out of the water. The ending was something else, and I am excited for the next book!



I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.
Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.
Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all. 
Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen. 
Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.
It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Man, was I not expecting this. The book was so dark, and made me feel like, I cant even describe it. Just had to put the book down at some points because of how, what would you say, ahh yes; sadistic it was. The main character Adelina is a sick and twisted character. I'm not even kidding. I mean I've read about some pretty sick and sadistic characters before, but never in a YA novel. The fact that she found pleasure in other's pain and fear mad the book so much more compelling. I loved it!

Adelina wasn't always so messed up, she use to love her family quite alot, and use to enjoy herself. But, that was until the epidemic wiped the nation, making children and adults sick. From what I read all the adults who got sick died, along with most of the children. The children who did survive were looked down upon and were called 'malfetto'. When she and her sister survived, her sister came out unscaved but Adelina came out with silver/grey hair and one eye short.

So, I've never read a book where the main character had one eye. Even though it was a disadvantage to Adelina at the bbeginningof the book, but buy the end she was kick ass.

Enzo. I did enjoy him quite a bit. He is strong and ruthless, except when it comes to Adelina or his previous love. He's the one who helps train Adelina with her powers. Adelina and Enzo have a special bond, they both pull towards the Amber in the same way. When he died at the end, I was tthoroughlyshocked, since he was one of the main characters and all. But, I guess authors are doing that now days. I still think that Enzo is going to be brought back in the next book, I mean who else is going to take over the throne. Adelina? Hell to the know. She may be the main character and all, but she is hell bent unstable. Not ruler material.

You don't really see much of Enzo and Adelina's relationship throughout the book, and it kind of just hits you in the face when they start making out. I mean we all knew something was between them but I didn't expect them to start a heavy makout sesh. The relationship they have is kind of unconventional, she is to worried of what he thinks of her that she makes stupid and rash decisions, such as going to break her sister out of Teren's grasps.

Then we have Teren. The traitor to all the Elites, to all of the Malfetto. He is an Elite but he works for the Queen. His mission throughout the book, and most likely the upcoming books of the series is to kill all the Elites, and to make sure all of the Malfetto are exiled from the city. He is the one responsible for Enzo's death, along with partially Adelina's but she didn't mean to. Also, apparently this Teren guy can't be compelled by magic, or magic can't harm him. And he heals super quick. What I want to know is what Teren really is.

Over all, I thought this book was fantastic. The darkness Lu adds to this book took my breath away, because I wasn't expecting this due to her previous work. But, I definitely wasn't disappointed. Maybe in the next book we could make Adelina a bit more stable? Oh, and bring back Enzo. I'm not sure that Adelina will be stable enough to go on with out Enzo. I would recommend this to a friend times 100. Happy Reading!!!

~Alysia

No comments:

Post a Comment